人教版高中英语选修10课件 Unit 4 Learning efficiently Reading 课件_图文
Unit 4 Learning efficiently Reading 课件
1＋100，2＋ 99，3＋98，…… 49＋52，50＋51 altogether 50 pairs
So : Answer =101×50＝5050
A ten-year-old boy (高斯（C.F. Gauss ) worked out the problem assigned by the teacher in a few seconds.
From this example, we know the significance of method. Right methods can always help improve the efficiency of solving problems. As to our study, we can also apply certain methods or strategies to make ourselves an efficient learner.
So how to be an efficient learner and how to learn efficiently? No idea? OK, the unit we are going to learn focuses on this topic. And I’m sure, after learning it, you will know how.
What does the graph tell you about the study habits of Guo Qiang?
Do you think Guo Qiang is spending an appropriate amount of time on each aspect of his English study? Do you think a survey of your classmates would show similar results?
In pairs interview each other to find out your partner’s English study habits. Then make a graph to show the result.
Please read the three pictures and the title and predicate what the author will tell us in the following passage. If we want to be a good reader, we must practise more. So I think the author will tell us we need do a lot of practice to improve our reading ability.
Besides practice, we need to master some techniques.
It tells us when reading a text we need to think over the content.
Write the headings and sub-headings for the three passages Part 1: Part 2:
Practice makes perfect Make your reading practice enjoyable Learn the techniques of good readers
a. preview the text b. read actively c. read in different ways d. don’t need to understand every word Part 4: Summary
Sum up the main idea of the text The text provides the readers strategies for becoming a good reader and the techniques of good readers. From the text we know if we want to be a good reader, we must do a lot of practice, make our reading practice enjoyable and learn the techniques of good readers.
Also, the writer lists some techniques of good readers, like previewing the text, reading actively and so on. After learning the text we know how to improve our reading.
The writing characteristics of the passage
The topic is introduced directly by asking a question “how to become a successful reader”. This is the question the answer to which the students are eager to know. This arouses the interest of readers and leads them into the article. Then the writer shows three strategies for becoming a good reader.
In the third part the techniques are introduced one by one in each parallel paragraph. This can help the students understand that these techniques are of equal importance in becoming a good reader. The last paragraph summarizes the text and responds to the title and strengthens the value of the strategies.
The writing style of the text
The text is an expository that illustrates the strategies of becoming a good reader. The author analyzes the strategies by citing examples and drawing analogy. These methods make the text vivid and practical to the readers.
Read it again and try to complete Ex 3 on page 34.
1. If there are more than 3% new words on a page of text, ________________________________ you will find the text difficult to ____________________________ read and probably won’t enjoy it.
2. You will find reading more enjoyable you read things you are when_____________________________ interested in or that you find useful. ________________________________ 3. The key to success in reading is frequent practice plus___________ good reading __________. techniques
4. Before you start reading a text in detail preview ___________________________ the text to find out what it __________________________________ contains and how it is organized.
5. You will understand what you read better if _____________________ you already know _________________________________ something about the content or __________ organization.
6. While reading, a good reader thinks about what he / she is reading. ________________________________ 7. It is not necessary to understand _________________ every word in a text. 8 Learning and practising efficient techniques will improve ___________________ your ability ________ to read.
1.There are certain techniques you can learn and then its is up to you to practise, practise and practise. 有
it is up to somebody 意思是 it is somebody’s responsibility or duty, 可理 解成“取决于某人；在于……；该 由……负责”． 如： －Shall we go out? 我们可以出去吗？ －It’s up to you. 由你决定。
I can’t take the decision. It’s not up to me. 我不能做决定，这不取决我。
＜拓展＞ up to 还有表示“深度、高 度、地位等”直到……；（数目上）直
到，至多……; “接近于；达 到”“胜任、适宜”等意思。
Mary is small and just comes up to Bills’ chest. Everyone has his part to play, from the office boy up to the president. They worked here up to the last minute. Up to ten people can sleep in this tent.
If your goods are up to the sample, they will certainly sell well in the market. The interpreter’s English was not up to the task. What have you been up to lately?
2. For example, suppose in biology you were studying how plants reproduce, then you could find an English text about this on the Internet. 假设在生物学中，你正在研究植物 如何繁衍，那你会在因特网上找到 有关这方面的文章。
suppose 可以看成连接词, 意思是 imagine what will/would happen if. 它所引导的从句表示“主观设想的情 况”。因此，有些动词用虚拟语气。
例如： Suppose you fall and hurt yourself when you’re out alone in the mountains? 另外, suppose, supposing 用做连接词时, 还可以用来表示建议，表示“……怎么 样？” Suppose we put it off till next week? Supposing you have another try?
3. You may find you have more than one strong learning style, which is a bonus because being able to learn in more than one style increases your chances of finding activities that suit you. 你或许会发现自己有不止一种倾向的学 习风格，这是一种意外的收获，因为能 够以多种风格学习会增大找到合适的学 习活动的机会。
bonus在本句中意思是 anything pleasant in addition to what is expected, 可以理解为“意外令人高兴的事” We like our new house, and it’s a real bonus that my mother lives so near. As a special bonus, all our holidays will include the use of a car for a week.
bonus还可以表示 a payment that is added to what is usual, 可以理解为 “奖金；红利；特别津贴”，如： All their employees will receive a Christmas bonus. Those who finish the job early will be paid a bonus.
1. Preview Learning about language Part. 2. Examine your reading style and work out a program to improve your reading.